Lecturer, NUI Galway
Ph.D. Physics, University of Pennsylvania (2011)
M.S. Physics, University of Pennsylvania (2009)
B.A. Physics and Applied Math, University of California Berkeley (2005)
- A. Cardinot, V. McCauley, J. Fairfield “Designing physics board games: a practical guide for educators” Physics Education, 57 (3), 035006, 2022.
- A. Cardinot, J. Fairfield “Alternative conceptions of astronomy: how Irish secondary students understand Gravity, Seasons, and the Big Bang” EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 17 (4), em1950, 2021.
- H. Schiebel, R. Stone, E. Rivera, J. Fairfield “Developing Science Communication Skills in Early Career Scientists” Limnology and Oceanography Bulletin, 30 (1), 35-38, 2021.
- J. Roche, J. Fairfield, A. Gallagher, L. Bell “Bright Club: Establishing a Science Comedy Variety Night in Ireland” Science Communication, 42(1), 130, 2020.
- A. Cardinot, J. Fairfield “A Play-Centric Approach to Science Education” Electronic Proceedings of the ESERA 2019 Conference. Part 3: Science teaching processes, 409, 2019.
- A. Cardinot, J. Fairfield “Game-Based Learning to Engage Students With Physics and Astronomy Using a Board Game” International Journal of Game-Based Learning 9(1), 42, 2019.
- J. Fairfield “Nanostructured Materials for Neural Electrical Interfaces” Advanced Functional Materials 28 (12), 1701145, 2018.
- S. Oliver, J. Fairfield, A. Bellew, S. Lee, J. Champlain, L. Ruppalt, J. Boland, P. Vora “Quantum Point Contacts and Resistive Switching in Ni/NiO Nanowire Junctions” Applied Physics Letters 109, 203101, 2016.
- J. Fairfield, C. Rocha, C. O’Callaghan, M. Ferreira, J. Boland “Co-percolation to tune conductive behaviour in dynamical metallic nanowire networks” Nanoscale, 8 (43), 18516, 2016.
- P. Gkoupidenis, D. Koutsouras, T. Lonjaret, J. Fairfield, G. Malliaras “Orientation selectivity in a multi-gated organic electrochemical transistor” Scientific Reports 6, 27007, 2016.
- C. O’Kelly, J. Fairfield, D. McCloskey, H. Manning, J. Donegan, J. Boland “Associative Enhancement of Time Correlated Response to Heterogeneous Stimuli in a Neuromorphic Nanowire Device” Advanced Electronic Materials 1500458, 2016.
- P. Gkoupidenis, N. Schaefer, X. Strakosas, J. Fairfield, G. Malliaras “Synaptic plasticity functions in an organic electrochemical transistor”, Applied Physics Letters 107, 263302, 2015.
- A. Bell, J. Fairfield, E. McCarthy, S. Mills, J. Boland, G. Baffou, D. McCloskey, “Quantitative study of the photothermal properties of metallic nanowire networks”, ACS Nano 9 (5), 5551, 2015.
- C. O’Kelly, J. Fairfield, J. Boland, “A Single Nanoscale Junction with Programmable Multilevel Memory”, ACS Nano, 8(11), 11724, 2014.
- J. Fairfield, C. Ritter, A. Bellew, E. McCarthy, M. Ferreira, J. Boland, “Effective Electrode Length Enhances Electrical Activation of Nanowire Networks: Experiment and Simulation” ACS Nano, 8 (9), 9542–9549, 2014.
- A. Bellew, A. Bell, E. McCarthy, J. Fairfield, J. Boland, “Programmability of Nanowire Networks” Nanoscale, 6, 9632, 2014.
- P. Nirmalraj, A. Bellew, A. Bell, J. Fairfield, E. McCarthy, C. O’Kelly, L. Pereira, S. Sorel, D. Morosan, J. Coleman, M. Ferreira, J. Boland “Manipulating Connectivity and Electrical Conductivity in Metallic Nanowire Networks” Nano Letters 12 (11), 5966, 2012.
- J. Fairfield, T. Dadosh, M. Drndic “Characterization of memory and measurement history in photoconductivity of nanocrystal arrays” Applied Physics Letters 97, 143112, 2010.
- L. Willis*, J. Fairfield*, T. Dadosh*, M. Fischbein, M. Drndic “Controlling nanogap quantum dot photoconductivity through optoelectronic trap manipulation” Nano Letters 9 (12), 4191, 2009.
- C. Querner, S. Wang, K. Healy, J. Fairfield, M. Fischbein and M. Drndic “Fluorescence dynamics of semiconductor nanorod clusters studied by correlated atomic-force, transmission-electron and fluorescence microscopy” J. Phys. Chem. C 112 (50), 19945, 2008.
- N. Roe, C. Bebek, K. Dawson, J. Emes, M. Fabricius, J. Fairfield, D. Groom, S. Holland, A. Karcher, W. Kolbe, N. Palaio, G. Wang, “Radiation-tolerant, red-sensitive CCDs for dark energy investigations,” Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A, Vol. 572 Issue 1, 526, 2007.
- D. Groom, C. Bebek, M. Fabricius, J. Fairfield, A. Karcher, W. Kolbe, N. Roe, J. Steckert, “Characterization of LBNL SNAP CCDs: Quantum efficiency, reflectivity, and point-spread function,” Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society, 38, 1038, 2006.
- S. Holland, C. Bebek, K. Dawson, J. Emes, M. Fabricius, J. Fairfield, D. Groom, A. Karcher, W. Kolbe, N. Palaio, N. Roe, G. Wang, “High-voltage-compatible, fully depleted CCDs,” Proc. SPIE 6276, High Energy, Optical, and Infrared Detectors for Astronomy II, 62760B 2006.
- J. Fairfield, D. Groom, S. Bailey, C. Bebek, S. Holland, A. Karcher, W. Kolbe, W. Lorenzon, N. Roe, “Improved spatial resolution in thick, fully depleted CCDs with enhanced red sensitivity,” IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 53 (6), 3877, 2006.
- J. Fairfield, “Improved spatial resolution in thick, fully-depleted CCDs with enhanced red sensitivity,” IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, IEEE 2, 1072, 2005.